MCA/DoLs/Court of Protection training
Venue: Haringey Council Civic Centre, High Rd, Wood Green, London N22 8LE. Nearest Tube: Wood Green. http://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/haringey_council_offices_wood_green.pdf
Who should attend:
Commissioners, care managers, social care leads and any staff involved in achieving the objectives of the Transforming Care agenda to discharge patients where appropriate and help more people stay in the community.
The workshop will include the following:
- The process of best interest decision-making in the context of section 4 of the Mental Capacity Act and associated guidance.
- When should a CCG/LA refer to the COP eg. for a move to supported living; tenancy agreements; Guardianship orders; Managing Financial issues
- What does a good application to the COP look like and timescales
- What can you fast track?
- lawful ways in which a patient with capacity can be discharged into the community where there needs to be post discharge restrictions that amount to a DoL
- Situations where the conditions of a Community Treatment Order (CTO) may amount to a deprivation of liberty and the case is being considered at Tribunal
- Discharge of patients subject to criminal sections where there is the additional Ministry of Justice restriction (such as a section 37/41 or 47/49) into the community, where the proposed arrangements to manage risk may amount to an objective deprivation of liberty and the patient has capacity.
- Which patients and how does the MM Court of Appeal judgment affect discharges (including Transforming Care patients)
The workshop will be run by a barrister from Doughty Street Chambers
Registration is via Eventbrite on the link below: